-

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Embarrassed to Talk About Sexual Problems?

QUESTION: Why don't you ever respond to people who write to you with their sexual problems? I am sure you must get loads of letters like that because most people like me are too ashamed to talk to their doctors.
Or are you just like most the other doctors who clam up when the subject comes up, because they are embarrassed too, so just don't want to talk about it?

ANSWER: In defense of myself, I have no difficulty either talking to patients about their intimate problems, nor in writing about it in this column. Frankly, most of the letters are either too individualized or too intimate to be included in a newspaper column.
When there are subjects of general interest, I do try to include them, for it is clear to me that there is a great deal of interest about the subject, and not a great deal of clear thinking or easy to understand explanations.
Now in defense of my profession, I believe that most family physicians are skilled in discussing personal sexual matters, either because they have had special training in their residency programs or because their professional experience and study has provided a good deal of valuable insight.
I realize that many patients have difficulty in opening up on this matter to their local doctor, but if they would only take the first step they would be well served.
If their physician has the skills necessary, the problem may be easily solved at this stage of medical care.
If not, than the opportunities for care can be obtained through referral to another doctor or agency that may possess the specialized knowledge needed to deal with the situation.
Sometimes patients have difficulty in finding the right words, thinking that they need to be able to explain their condition in high faluting medical jargon.
Nothing is further from the truth.
A sincere story, honestly told, is all you need convey to your doctor, and there can be no shame where there is no guilt, and judging guilt certainly is not within the scope of my profession.
Since I sense a certain urgency in your letter, I hope you will now seek out the help you need.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.