-

Saturday, May 2, 2009

What is Hand-Schuller-Christian Disease?

QUESTION: I have what I believe to be an unusual problem.
At least I have never heard of it before and wonder if its familiar to you.
I get small lumps usually in my arms that are quite sore.
My doctor feels I need a biopsy.
He mentioned a disease he feels I may have (something-Christian?) Can you explain this to me? Do I need the biopsy?

ANSWER: When "bumps" like yours become a problem, the only sure way of making a diagnosis is to take a biopsy.
By taking a small sample of the lump, and producing microscopic slides for examination, a pathologist can identify the types of cells and narrow down the diagnosis to one or two possibilities. "Hand-Schuller-Christian Disease (HSC)" is also known as "Histiocytosis X," for the bumps in this disease turn out to be composed of masses of histiocytes.
These cells originate in the marrow, normally form a type of white blood cell, but in this condition may be found growing in many organs including the lungs and bone and is associated with lymphadenopathy (swollen glands) often felt as bumps.
No cause has yet been discovered that explains this condition.
However, this disease is more common in children and young adults, and is less commonly seen in adults, and may not be the diagnosis in your case.
That is why a biopsy in your situation is so essential, for a clear diagnosis is needed upon which to base the treatment and therapy.
An interesting point to note; patients with HSC Disease sometimes recover spontaneously, without any treatment.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.