-

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Are Ultrasound Tests Bad?

QUESTION: I am about to enter the 4th month of my first pregnancy, and my doctor is suggesting that I have a screening ultrasound examination.
My mother, who is very conservative, tells me she has heard bad things about the tests, and doesn't want me to have it.
Help! I need some information.

ANSWER: Sure, put Dr.
B.
in the soup between your doctor and your mother! Actually both parties have some arguments in their favor, and you are the one that must make the final decision.
In favor of the screening procedure are its ability to diagnose the presence of a multiple pregnancy early on, the ability to date the length of your pregnancy and help predict the due date, and, most important, the early detection of an abnormality in the developing fetus.
Against this impressive array of positives, are considerations of cost, the availability of blood tests to determine some abnormalities, and though at present there is no evidence of ill effects from ultrasound, the possibility of long term effects have not yet been discovered.
Despite Mom's opposition, I think that the secret of a good decision lies in a frank and open discussion with your doctor, to appreciate his reasons and concerns and the information he is seeking to obtain from this examination.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.