-

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Problems With Snoring

QUESTION: My problem is this: I've had my nose broken 4 times playing various sports.
Now I snore like a herd of stampeding buffalo.
My marriage is suffering because my wife is a light sleeper.
Help me, please.

ANSWER: Snoring is not a matter to be taken lightly, as it may be associated with a number of quite serious situations, including sleep apnea.
That is a condition in which the sleeper stops breathing for 10 seconds or more up to 300 times a night.
Of course, the obvious diagnosis in your case would be to blame the problem on you poor beat up nose.
If the passage through which you inhale air is obstructed, you have to pull harder to get the air in.
This creates a partial vacuum effect that pulls the soft part of the airway together and which vibrates as you breathe, causing the snoring.
However, before we condemn just your nose, you require a thorough examination of your nose, mouth, palate, throat and neck.
If your nose is the culprit, there is a real possibility that only surgery can correct the obstructive conditions that are causing your sleep symphony.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.