-

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking

QUESTION: Now that smoking is socially unacceptable around my house, I am losing another battle as well; my weight is surging upwards, something I have tried to avoid for my entire adult life.
What's a woman to do? I think I would rather be a thin smoker taking my chances than look like I do now.
Can you please figure a way out for me?

ANSWER: Most experts will agree that, while the amount varies considerably from a low of nothing at all to an unacceptable high, most people who finally stop smoking will average a weight gain of from two to ten pounds in the month that follows quitting.
But the risks of that additional unwanted weight is little compared to the many health risks provoked by continued smoking.
And you can get rid of the extra weight.
Many people crave high calorie sweets when they come off of smoking, so find some low calorie food that will help. Even chewing gum can help you here.
If you can add about an hour a day of some brisk activity (yes, fast walking counts), you can probably stem the tide of weight gain and get things back to normal in a few weeks' time.
However, under no circumstances should you start smoking again as an answer to your controllable weight gain.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.