-

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Aspirin and Persistent Severe Headache

QUESTION: I have arthritis, for which I take 8 aspirin a day.
I also have severe headaches, for which I take fiorinal.
Why am I still getting headaches? With all the aspirin I take I feel that every pain in the body should be suppressed.
Do you have an answer?

ANSWER: I wish it really was that easy.
A simple medication for every health complaint that worked perfectly, and without side effects every time.
Have a pain, any pain at all, take an aspirin, or one perfect antibiotic for any infection.
However, the complex and wonderful workings of our bodies do not permit us the luxury of relying on such one to one relationships.
Pain is the body's response to many different situations, requiring diligent investigations and diagnoses of the cause, before the choice of an appropriate medication to remedy the situation can be made.
I do not know the cause of your headache, but your letter makes it clear that aspirin is not the solution.
It may mean that in your specific case aspirin is just not effective for your headaches, although it might work quite well for someone else with the same problem.
More important, however, is the possibility that your headaches are a symptom of a situation for which aspirin is never the medicine of choice.
An example, to help make my point.
Your headaches may be the sign of an elevated blood pressure.
Reducing this pressure would most certainly put an end to the headache problem, but the medicine to achieve that would not be aspirin, but one selected from a group of possible choices, all of which have very different chemical formulas and different actions than aspirin.
I hope you now realize that you require a bit of personalized medical attention, for the possibility of a serious condition does exist in your case, and I would not delay a visit to the physician if I were you.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.